Review of the recycled water guidelines – red tape reduction
Water corporations will benefit from a substantial reduction in red tape under the proposed revised recycled water guidelines, with improvements that include:
– Health and Environmental Management Plans (HEMP) amendments will require no regulatory approval
– Minor changes to scheme operations will require no regulatory approval
– Plant disruptions that do not affect water supply require no notification
– Addition of a treatment plant to an existing scheme, under the same HEMP, requires a notification only
– Clearer regulatory roles and processes sit exclusively with the EPA, rather than across both EPA and DHHS.
VicWater is working with DELWP to coordinate an additional water industry workshop prior to the public consultation of the new draft guidelines.