The Sector Resilience and Emergency branch in the Water and Catchments Group at DELWP are seeking a VPS4 Policy Officer in the Dam Safety and Regulation team for a 12 month exchange.
The Policy Officer will support a range of projects, including the program of work related to the regulation of dam safety in Victoria. You will play a role in effective project management, communications, and policy development.
The position will focus on development, implementation and continuous improvement of Victoria’s dam safety regulatory framework, policies, and practices. It will form and maintain strong relationships with dam owners, including the Victoria water corporations, across the Water and Catchments Group (WCG) and other relevant internal and external stakeholders. It will play a role in strengthening WCG’s relationships with regional DELWP staff and dam owners to ensure effective response to dam safety incidents.
The position will also be required to support major incidents affecting the water sector, including bushfires, floods, and major storm events. Critical skills include knowledge of the Victoria water sector.
- Manage tasks associated with the development, implementation and continuous improvement of dam safety regulation and assurance.
- Prepare briefing notes, position papers, updates, and correspondence on dam safety and broader water sector resilience and risk management.
- Support the Dam Safety and Regulation Team in managing stakeholder expectations and compliance with obligations.
- Undertake research and analysis relating to risks impacting the water sector to inform policy development and project delivery
- Initiate, maintain and manage effective collaborative and responsive relationships within DELWP and with key external stakeholders.
- Support the Sector Resilience and Emergency Branch’s broader work program during emergency incidents as required.
- Participate in and observe emergency management exercises with water corporations and other stakeholders as required.
- To practice cultural safety by creating environments, relationships and systems free from racism and discrimination so that people can feel safe, valued and able to participate.
Key selection criteria
- An appropriate tertiary qualification in public policy, engineering, law, governance, or environment related fields would be desirable.
- A working knowledge of the Victorian water sector would be desirable.
- Ability to work across government and organisations to influence policies and programs.
- Thinking and Problem Solving
- Resolves issues through understanding or interpretation of existing guidelines.
- Where guidelines are not available, analyses ideas available and takes action through self, or in consultation with others to resolve problems.
- If required, determines additional information needed to make informed decisions.
- Applies critical thinking and problem-solving concepts in the right context.
Policy design and development
- Drafts policies and business cases using research skills and in consultation with relevant stakeholders
- Uses operational policies to guide their work
- Seeks information to improve knowledge and application of policies
- Contributes to and provides a support role in business case development.
- Takes steps to add value for the client or stakeholder
- Links people with other areas as appropriate
- Monitors client and stakeholder satisfaction
- Constructively deals with stakeholder issues.
- Cooperates and works well with others in pursuit of team goals
- Share information and acknowledge others’ efforts
- Step in to help others where required
- Build a supportive and cooperative team environment
For more information about the role or to obtain and position description contact Reena Ram on [email protected] or 0433 401 724. Applications close COB Tuesday 14 December 2021 and should include:
- Cover letter
- Response to Key Selection Criteria (no more than 500 words)