Safety Alert: Crane boom almost contacts high voltage powerline
Date of incident: 22/11/2021
A Franna crane was used to transport an aerator from one lagoon to another, when it came very close to contacting an overhead high voltage powerline.
- Spotter not directly spotting
- Synthetic sling too long for task required
- Crane boom too high and extended for travelling task under HV powerline
- 048 not completed correctly (risk assessment)
- Crane driver could not see powerlines
- No load restraint used
- Incorrect process for aerator cable/s placement while travelling
- A spotter must spot only for the plant and equipment in use and not perform other tasks
- Correct slinging of load/s
- Follow training and procedures; SOP 086 working near overhead or underground services
- Task discussion and job site walk over, complete risk assessment in a group environment
Ongoing Safe Actions
- At no stage shall a spotter perform other tasks while spotting.