Industry guides, publications and submissions
VicWater plays an important role in the Victorian water industry contributing to and influencing the development and implementation of Government policies relating to water and wastewater services within Victoria.
VicWater seeks to represent and support the water Industry’s collective interests and does so by undertaking the following
- Coordinating industry responses in relation to government and regulator policies
- Providing forums for industry discussions on priority issues
- Production of industry guides to contribute to the improved performance of the industry
- Identifying industry best practice to provide consistent and effective approaches to issues affecting the water industry.
Industry Guides, publications & submissions released by VicWater can be found below. If you would like further information on the guides and submissions being prepared by VicWater please contact email@example.com or (03) 9639 8868.
- 30 May 2017Puddle Account year ended 30 June 2017
The 30 June 2017 Puddle model account have been released. VicWater and the Finance Issues Steering Committee is very grateful for the contribution of PwC and VAGO to the preparation of the account. During 2016 the VicWater Finance Issues Steering Committee reviewed its approach to delivering the Puddle Account and decided to proceed with a […]
- 24 Apr 2017VicWater Submission – Plumbing Regulations Review
The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning and the VBA are currently reviewing the Plumbing Regulations 2008 prior to their expiry in November 2018. The Regulations provide detailed requirements in relation to plumbing work, plumbing practitioners, and the administration of plumbing work. In the submission, VicWater advocates for Plumbing Regulation changes that support a […]
- 24 Apr 2017VicWater Submission – Productivity Commission Inquiry into the reform of Australia’s water resources
The Productivity Commission is conducting an inquiry into the reform of Australia’s water resources sector (details are here). The inquiry will focus on progress in jurisdictional adoption of NWI principles, and outcomes to date of the NWI and related water reform efforts. However, it will also consider broader water policy issues and reform opportunities relating […]
- 28 Mar 2017Puddle Account Streamlining Workshop Report
As a part of the 2017 Puddle Account, PwC has coordinated a one-off transition to streamlined reporting. The transition project includes a review of the 2016 streamlined Whole-of-Government financial report, consideration of areas of focus for water corporations, and a review of disclosures to determine if any can be omitted or reduced based on relevance to the reader, […]
- 24 Mar 2017VicWater Submission – ESC Family Violence Code
During February 2017, the ESC published a set of proposed amendments to water customer service codes. The codes have been developed in response to recommendations within the 2016 Royal Commission into Family Violence (here). The proposed code changes require water businesses to develop and implement family violence policies which, as a minimum, provide for: (1) training […]
- 24 Mar 2017VicWater Submission – Review of the Native Vegetation Clearing Regulations
During March, VicWater made a second submission to the Review of the Native Vegetation Clearing Regulations. The submission is in response to the draft Regulations available here. VicWater and water corporations have participated in earlier phases of the review, including a submission in June 2016 and a workshop during July 2015. Submission – Native Vegetation […]
- 7 Mar 2017Legal Compliance Manual – update February 2017
The Victorian Water Industry Legal Compliance Manual contains information on updates to the various laws and policies that affect the Victorian water industry. Legal Compliance Manual Update – February 2017 Legal Compliance and Information Manual – Update – October 2015
- 28 Feb 2017VicWater Submission – Port Phillip Bay EMP
In late 2016 DELWP released the draft 10 year Port Phillip Bay Environmental Management Plan for 2017-27. The draft Plan was developed by the DEWLP, in partnership with Melbourne Water and the EPA. A copy of the draft plan and a consultation hub are available here. Submission – Port Phillip Bay Environmental Management Plan EMP […]
- 15 Dec 2016VicWater Submission – Regulatory Impact Statement – Scheduled Premises Regulations Review
During December, VicWater made a follow up submission to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) and Environment Protection Authority Victoria (EPA) regarding the Regulatory Impact Statement for the revised Scheduled Premises Regulations. This submission follows the VicWater industry workshop to develop a substantive submission in December 2015. Submission – Letter to Stephen Gatford […]
- 28 Nov 2016VicWater Submission – ESC Water Pricing Approach PREMO Self Assessment
During November, VicWater prepared a submission in response to the Essential Services Commission’s (ESC) Consultation paper on assessing and rating PREMO price submissions. VicWater Submission – ESC draft PREMO self assessment guide – Nov 2016 The consultation paper is part of the ESC’ review of the approach to water pricing that follows the revision of […]
- 1 Sep 2016VicWater Submission – Inquiry into the sustainability and operational challenges of Victoria’s rural and regional councils
During September, VicWater made a submission to the Victorian Legislative Assembly Environment, Natural Resources and Regional Development Committee Inquiry into the sustainability and operational challenges of Victoria’s rural and regional councils. Further details regarding the Inquiry are available here. Submission – Inquiry into financial sustainability rural and regional councils – 1 Sep 2016
- 11 Aug 2016VicWater Submission – Yarra River Protection
In late 2015 the Minister for Planning and the then Minster for Environment, Climate Change and Water appointed the Yarra River Protection Ministerial Advisory Committee (Yarra MAC) to provide advice to Government on the key issues and opportunities for the Yarra River as well as improvements to the governance arrangements for its protection. The MAC […]
- 1 Aug 2016VicWater Submission – ESC Review of the Water Pricing Approach
On 29 July, VicWater prepared a submission in response to the Essential Services Commission’s (ESC) Water Pricing Approach Position Paper. A copy of the position paper is available here. The Position Paper is part of the ESC’ review of the approach to water pricing that follows the revision of the Water Industry Regulatory Order (WIRO) in October […]
- 20 Jun 2016VicWater Submission – Inquiry into fire season preparedness
During June, VicWater made a submission to the Victorian Legislative Council Environment and Planning Committee Inquiry into fire season preparedness. Further details regarding the Inquiry are available here. Submission – Inquiry into fire season preparedness – 17 Jun 2016
- 2 Jun 2016VicWater Submission – Review of the Native Vegetation Clearing Regulations
During may, VicWater made a submission to the Review of the Native Vegetation Clearing Regulations. The submission is in response to a consultation paper available here. The focus of the submission is to ensure the approval processes, compliance activities and investments target the best overall environmental outcome. VicWater and water corporations have participated in earlier phases of the […]
- 1 Jun 2016Puddle Account year ended 30 June 2016
The Draft 30 June 2016 Puddle model account have been released. VicWater and the Finance Issues Steering Committee is very grateful for the contribution of PwC and VAGO to the preparation of the account. Final Puddle Accounts – 30 June 2016 – clean
- 16 May 2016VicWater Submission – Water for Victoria
During March 2016, The Minister for Environment, Climate Change and Water published a discussion paper on the Government’s new Water Plan. A copy of the discussion paper is available here. The VicWater submission focuses on advancing the discussion with government regarding the water industry’s role in implementing the plan. VicWater held a workshop on 8 April […]
- 25 Mar 2016Submission to the Major Hazard Facilities Advisory Committee – buffers around critical assets
During 2015, an Advisory Committee was appointed by the Minister for Planning to provide advice on the way land use buffers around Major Hazard Facilities are determined and implemented. Further details are available here. The Advisory Committee published a discussion paper in December 2015. Although VicWater was not informed of the discussion paper and submission […]
- 23 Feb 2016VicWater Submission – Business Waste Education Strategy
Sustainability Victoria has released a Draft Victorian Community and Business Waste Education Strategy. The Strategy is an element of the 2015 State-wide Waste and Resource Recovery Infrastructure Plan. Further details are available here. Submission – Letter to Mark Smith – Sustainability Victoria – Waste Education Strategy ~ March 2016 Best Practice Trade Waste Management Final
- 21 Dec 2015Asset Valuation Guidance
The first completed valuation for all Victorian water entities was undertaken as at 30 June 2011 and the results of the valuation were recognised in financial statements at that reporting date. Initial infrastructure asset valuation reports, provided by the independent valuer, included consumption based depreciation; however the methodology was rejected by the water entities and […]
- 18 Dec 2015VicWater Submission – Review of the EPA Scheduled Premises Regulations
During November, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) and Environment Protection Authority Victoria (EPA) released a discussion paper on the Environment Protection (Scheduled Premises and Exemptions) Regulations 2007. The Regulations are due to expire in mid-2017. A copy of the discussion paper is available here: VicWater held a water industry workshop to […]
- 11 Dec 2015VicWater Submission – Our Catchments, Our Future
During later 2015, the Catchment Management Authorities and the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning consulted VicWater on the draft Our Catchments, Our Communities strategy. Further information is available here. CMAs are responsible for regional consultation and each water corporation should have been contacted by their CMA for input to the draft strategy. VicWater […]
- 1 Dec 2015Legal Compliance Manual – update October 2015
The Victorian Water Industry Legal Compliance Manual contains information on updates to the various laws and policies that affect the Victorian water industry.
- 5 Nov 2015VicWater Submission – Inquiry into the EPA
During August, the independent Ministerial Advisory Committee (MAC), for the Inquiry into the EPA, released a discussion paper which is available at http://getinvolved.epa-inquiry.vic.gov.au/. The discussion paper marked the beginning of the public phase of the Inquiry that will culminate in a report to the Minister for Environment, Climate Change and Water, in March 2016 The VicWater submission […]
- 6 Aug 2015VicWater Submission – Climate Change Act Review
The Victorian Government has commissioned an independent review of the Climate Change Act 2010. A review committee has been appointed, consisting of Martijn Wilder AM, Anna Skarbek and Professor Rosemary Lyster. The report will be delivered to the Government before 31 December 2015. Further details are available here. Submission – Climate Change Act Review – […]
- 14 Jul 2015VicWater Submission – Review of the State Environmental Protection Policy
During 2015 and 2016, the Victorian Government is conducting a statutory review of the State Environmental Protection Policy (Waters of Victoria). Further details of the review are available here. On 12 June, The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning published a discussion paper and commenced public consultation on the new SEPP. A copy of […]
- 13 Jul 2015VicWater Submission – Inquiry into Unconventional Gas in Victoria
During July, VicWater made a submission to the Victorian Parliament’s Environment and Planning Committee’s Inquiry into Unconventional Gas in Victoria. Further information on the Inquiry is available here. Submission – Inquiry into Unconventional Gas in Victoria – Coal Seam Gas… VicWater also provided the Committee with a copy of the submission made to the 2014 Gas […]
- 12 Jul 2015VicWater Submission – Review of the Statement of Obligations
On 9 June 2015, The Water Minister circulated a draft revised Water Industry Statement of Obligations (SoO) to all water corporations. VicWater established a working group that met on 3 July to develop an industry position on the proposed changes in the draft SoO. Submission to DELWP – Comments on Proposed Changes to Water Industry […]
- 2 Jul 2015VicWater Submission – ESC Review of the Water Pricing Approach
During June, VicWater prepared a submission in response to the Essential Services Commission’s (ESC) Consultation Paper – Review of water pricing approach. The Review follows the revision of the Water Industry Regulatory Order (WIRO) in October 2014 that now allows the Commission to consider a broad range of pricing approaches to deliver efficient pricing and service outcomes […]
- 16 May 2015Puddle Account year ended 30 June 2015
The 30 June 2015 Puddle model account was finalised in early May. VicWater and the Finance Issues Steering Committee is very grateful for the contribution of PwC and VAGO to the preparation of the account. Puddle Accounts 30 June 2015 11052015 Following the circulation of the Puddle Account, VAGO conducted a follow-up acquittal of the […]
- 7 Apr 2015VicWater Submission – Draft Safe Drinking Water Regulations
During March, VicWater prepared a submission on the draft Safe Drinking Water Regulations. VicWater reconvened the working group (including representatives from 15 of Victoria’s urban and rural water authorities) which assisted the preparation of the VicWater response to the 2014 discussion paper: The future of Victoria’s Safe Drinking Water Regulations. VicWater acknowledges that the Department of Health […]
- 19 Mar 2015VicWater Submission – Draft Code of Practice for Management of Infrastructure in Road Reserves
In March 2015, VicWater made a submission to VicRoads on the draft Code of Practice for Management of Infrastructure in Road Reserves. The VicWater submission is based on detailed feedback from six rural, regional and metro water corporations and is currently preparing a submission on behalf of the industry. The Victorian water industry continues to […]
- 17 Dec 2014VicWater Submission – AASB Reporting the Financial Effects of Rate Regulation
During December, VicWater prepared a submission in response to the Australian Accounting Standards Board discussion paper ‘Reporting the Financial Effects of Rate Regulation’. DOC 14 2838 VicWater Submission – Australian Accounting Standards Board (AASB) Rate Regulation – 17 Dec 2014
- 28 Nov 2014VicWater Submission – Government Skills Austrlia – Review of Training Package
In November 2014 VicWater made a short Submission to the Review of the Water Training Package which is being undertaken by Government Skills Australia (GSA). The Submission collated the views of several members of the VicWater Training Advisory Committee. A date for the finalisation of the Review has not yet been advised.
- 19 Sep 2014VicWater Submission – Mansfield Domestic Wastewater Management Plan
In July 2014, VicWater made a brief submission to Mansfield Shire, acknowledging the release of the draft Domestic Wastewater Management Plan. Later in 2014, VicWater and DEPI will hold a workshop in Melbourne to discuss and hear feedback on the Mansfield Domestic Wastewater Management Plan Risk Analysis Tool. The tool been developed in Mansfield with […]
- 4 Jul 2014VicWater Submission – Review of the Safe Drinking Water Regulations
In June 2014, VicWater hosted an industry workshop to help prepare a submission to the Review of Safe Drinking water Regulations. The workshop was attended by representatives from 15 water corporations. This submission has four parts: (1) a cover letter and discussion about VicWater’s concerns with the Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) process; (2) a brief […]
- 25 Jun 2014VicWater Submission – Independent review of economic regulation, governance and efficiency in the Victorian Water Sector
VicWater has tendered a response to the Preliminary Advice from the Independent Reviewer of Economic regulation, governance and efficiency in the Victorian water sector. VicWater was assisted by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) to undertake a gap analysis of the Preliminary Advice, compared to the September 2013 VicWater discussion paper on economic regulation of the water sector. PwC also facilitated […]
- 26 May 2014VicWater Submission – State Planning Policy Framework Review
In May VicWater commissioned Glossop Town Planning to assist the preparation of a water industry submission on the draft Victorian Planning Policy Framework (PPF). Water corporations are a Referral Authorities under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 and will exercise functions under the new PPF to ensure the ongoing provision of critical water supply and […]
- 4 Apr 2014VicWater Submission – Proposed Code of Practice for Timber Harvesting Operations 2014 (COPTHO) – April 2014
DEPI invited comments on the draft 2014 Code which applies to all land in Victoria that is either being used for or is intended to be used for timber harvesting operations.. VicWater made a submission following feedback from our members.
- 31 Mar 2014VicWater Submission – Gas Market Task Force – Final Report and Recommendations (Oct 2013) – March 2014
The Gas Market Taskforce, chaired by former Federal Minister Peter Reith, was established in January 2013 to examine gas supply issues. The full Gas Market Taskforce final report was released for public comment. VicWater made a submission following feedback from our members.
- 3 Mar 2014VicWater Submission – AgVet Chemicals Legislation Amendment – March 2014
The Australian Government is implementing reforms for the regulation of agricultural chemicals and veterinary medicines (agvet chemicals). In mid-December, they commenced a consultation period on the exposure draft Bill to remove the re-approval and re-registration scheme of agvet chemicals. VicWater made a submission on behalf of our members.
- 21 Feb 2014VicWater Submission to the ESC – Assessing the financeability of Victorian water businesses – February 2014
The ESC are undertaking a review to test whether any changes are required for future price review given that economic, financial and industry conditions have changed since the ESC commenced the price determination role. VicWater made a submission on behalf of our members.
- 14 Feb 2014VicWater Submission to the Water Law Review – February 2014
VicWater engaged law firm Russel Kennedy to assist the VicWater Water Law Review Task Group with their review of the Exposure Draft Water Bill 2014.
- 6 Feb 2014Model Health and Safety Management Plan
VicWater has made a submission to the Construction Compliance Code Unit (CCCU) of Department of Treasury and Finance. On the advice of the VicWater OH&S Steering Group the submission recommends that contractors not be required to submit Health and Safety Management Plans for projects with contracts valued at less than $5M.
- 5 Feb 2014VicWater Submission to VicRoads Streetworks Code of Practice Review
VicRoads sought comment from affected stakeholders on the outcome of a review of the allocation of utility space in road reserves as previously set out in the Co-ordination of Streetworks Code of Practice (‘Streetworks Code’). VicWater made a submission on behalf of our members.
- 6 Dec 2013VicWater Submission to Plan Melbourne
Plan Melbourne is the Victorian Government’s vision for the city to 2050. VicWater made a submission on behalf of our members.
- 21 Nov 2013VicWater Submission to the Water Law Review – November 2013
VicWater engaged law firm Russel Kennedy to provide advice on the exposure draft of the Water Bill 2014.
- 14 Oct 2013State Planning Policy Framework Review Advisory Committee
The State Planning Policy Framework (SPPF) Review Advisory Committee invited a submission from VicWater in relation to the review of the SPPF. The Advisory Committee was appointed to provide advice on the content and structure of a revised SPPF and to align and integrate it with the proposed Metropolitan Planning Strategy, the 8 regional growth […]
- 18 Sep 2013VicWater Submission – Melbourne’s Water Future
In August 2013, the Victorian Government released a consultation draft of Melbourne’s Water Future – part of the Government’s commitment to reform Victoria’s water cycle management systems and to drive generational change to make better use of all water sources, including rainwater, stormwater and recycled water. VicWater made a submission to the draft consultation strategy […]
- 6 Sep 2013Economic Regulation Submission
VicWater met with the Minister in September to present the outcomes from workshops conducted across Victoria by VicWater to identify the issues and opportunities to improve economic regulation of the Victorian water industry for the benefit of the customers we serve. The Water Industry supports economic regulation but believes it can be improved by moving to […]
- 1 Sep 2013VicWater Submission to the Water Law Review – September 2013
VicWater engaged law firm Russel Kennedy to provide advice on the exposure draft of the Water Bill 2014.
- 19 Aug 2013Victorian Planning and Environment Regulations 2013
The proposed Planning and Environment Amendment Regulations 2013 (proposed Regulations) make changes to the Planning and Environment Regulations 2005 as a result of amendments to the Planning and Environment Act 1987 made by the Planning and Environment Amendment (General) Act 2013. The proposed Regulations also make other improvements to the operation of the 2005 Regulations. […]
- 19 Jul 2013VicRoads Review of Code of Practice for Operational Responsibility for Public Roads
The Road Management Act 2004 includes provision for the making of Codes of Practice to provide practical guidance for road authorities, and works and infrastructure managers, in the performance of their functions and duties under the Act. In July 2013, VicRoads undertook a review of the Code of Practice for Operational Responsibility for Public Roads […]
- 23 Apr 2013Department of Health’s review of the public health regulatory framework for alternative water supplies in Victoria
VicWater provided a submission to the Department of Health’s review Review of the public health regulatory framework for alternative water supplies in Victoria: Supporting the safe use of sewage, greywater and stormwater, which was released for public comment in February 2013.
- 26 Feb 2013VicWater Submission to the Water Law Review Advisory Panel
VicWater made a submission on the Water Law Review to the Water Law Advisory Panel. The purpose of the submission was to highlight for the Advisory Panel the key concerns and issues identified by the water businesses in relation to the proposals considered up until January 2013.
- 22 Feb 2013VicWater Guidance Note for Determining Dwelling Density when Assessing Planning Permit Applications
To assist water corporations to calculate dwelling density in a more consistent way the VicWater Catchment Task Group has developed a VicWater Guidance Note which recommends a consistent approach to the calculation of dwelling density within catchments when using the 1km radial method. The 1km radial method is the preferred method used by most water […]
- 22 Feb 2013VicWater response to the VEAC Additional Prospecting Areas in Parks investigation – February 2013
On 25 October 2012, the Minister for Environment and Climate Change, the Hon. Ryan Smith, requested VEAC to conduct an investigation into additional prospecting areas in parks. VicWater’s Catchment Task Group provided comment on the investigation in February 2013.
- 21 Dec 2012Response to proposed Amendments to the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Code Regulations 1995 (Cth)
In September 2012, the Commonwealth Government released a set of proposed amendments to the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Code Regulations 1995 (Cth). VicWater’s Catchment Task Group provided comment on the proposed amendments in December 2012.
- 22 Nov 2012Response to the Victorian Government’s Draft Waste and Resource Recovery Policy
In November 2012, VicWater’s Sustainability Task Group submitted a response to the Department of Sustainability and Environment’s Draft Victorian Waste and Resource Recovery Policy.
- 21 Sep 2012Response to the Department of Planning and Community Development’s Discussion Paper on Reforming Victoria’s Planning Zones
Submitted to the Department of Planning and Community Development on 21 September 2012.
- 18 Jun 2012Response to Essential Services Comission New Customer Contributions Framework and Approach Paper
In May 2012, the Essential Services Commission released a Staff Framework and Approach Paper in relation to New Customer Contributions. You can access the ESC paper from their website http://www.esc.vic.gov.au/Water/New-Customer-Contributions. VicWater provided an Industry response to the paper in June 2012.
- 10 Jun 2011Draft Native Vegetation Code of Practice
Background In August 2009 a Cultural Heritage and Native Vegetation event was organised by VicWater and government for water corporation staff. As a result of that event, the attendees indicated an interest in forming a working group to develop an industry wide Native Vegetation Code of Practice. The working group was coordinated by VicWater with […]
- 4 Mar 2011Response to Essential Services Commission New Customer Contributions Draft Guideline
The Essential Services Commission released an Explanatory Paper/Draft Guideline in relation to New Customer Contributions in December 2010. VicWater provided a response to the ESC’s paper on 4 March 2011.
Industry Guides & Submissions Archive
- 2 Jul 2014 - Puddle Account year ended 30 June 2014
- 11 Nov 2013 - Legal Compliance Manual – update November 2013
- 15 May 2013 - Puddle Accounts year ended 30 June 2013
- 1 Oct 2012 - Legal Compliance Manual – update October 2012
- 1 Jun 2012 - Puddle Accounts year ended 30 June 2012
- 1 Sep 2011 - Legal Compliance Manual – update September 2011
- 1 Jan 2011 - Legal Compliance Manual – update January 2011
- 1 Oct 2010 - VicWater Guideline for unexplained high usage and undetected leak enquiries
- 1 Sep 2010 - Legal Compliance Manual – update September 2010
- 1 Aug 2009 - Legal Compliance Manual – update August 2009
- 4 Dec 2008 - VicWater VFF Pipeline Easement Guidelines
- 1 Feb 2008 - VicWater Residential Hardship Guide
- 1 Jun 2007 - Recycled Water Returned to Stream for Environmental Flows